Wednesday 21 September 2016

Pirates of the Silicon Valley

 
1 1. The factor that contributed to the successes and failure of Steve Jobs. The first that affects or contributed to his success and failures is that his thick faced or “baga ug nawong” attitude. For me, it is because since him and Steve Wozniak need a copy of an Altair Machine, they need to present a presentation in which the result would be that they were given a copy or a machine of the Altair they needed and for me, in that scene, what rose in my mind or what gave me the attention was the thick faced attitude of Steve Jobs where he had a huge confidence in presenting the machine or the software they need to present to get the specific item that him and Steve Wozniak wants. Another trait that contributed to his successes was thinking out of the box in any ways. Example was when Steve Wozniak said when he was assembling something he said that what he can see is the kilobytes, or circuit boards while what he see is the karma or the meaning of the universe. For me, it is like thinking outside the box because what he was seeing through it all is an opportunity to be a successful entrepreneur. He also thinks differently than all of us because that is what Steve Wozniak said when he was interviewed and he told the media the days were he and Steve Jobs were still in University of California Berkeley Campus. During the student anti-war movements, teenagers Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were shown caught on the campus riot between the students and the police. They flee after finding safety and Steve Jobs said that “Those guys think they are revolutionaries. They are not revolutionaries. We are.” What I think Steve Jobs meant here is that they are the ones doing the real revolution not against the rights of others or anything but against the machines. What I meant is that they are revolutionizing for the machines. After that, also, what I think that helps or contributes to his success or failures was in being a practical and sometimes a critical thinker when it comes to technology. He knew when to hide it, he knew when to show it, he knew when to hide it again and he knew when to show it again. I guess this what you call a strategic minded person in which he or she knows many ways to come up to a successful attempt to finish what he started. Another personality that contributed to his success or failure was the way his mindset has. Remember the scene in the movie in which he got mad at Steve Wozniak for accepting the interview for they call the “first computer” to a company in which they are willing to buy that stuff? He said that he aims for a company and not working for a company. For me, that is the real mindset of a technopreneur, being the employer and not the employee, because if you are the employee, you would highly depend and being ordered around by the employer that employed you while, if you are an employer, you can do almost anything, risk anything and anything you want to do unless you are keeping the company safe and still profit from all that you have done. Another thing that contributed to the successes and failures of Steve Jobs is the madness that he has or the uncontrollable anger in which he has in himself. Before he presented the “first computer” to a computer club somewhere in the United States of America, he had first his anger management test because he was mad at his mother for leaving him when he was too young. I can say that personal emotions and feelings must never interfere on your way to being a successful person in the future because once it hinders, it will never ever separate anymore. Another thing or contribute to his success and failure was that all this time all he thinks his opponent in the machine revolution is the IBM or the International Business Machines, the largest computer company in the world since 1911, and he never see Microsoft, a small company at the time, as a threat at all. That was one of his biggest mistakes ever made in his life where he overestimated the IBM, and he over underestimated small companies like Microsoft and many more. What also contributed in his success was the way he presented or the way he reaches his goal. For me, the way he reached his goal was kind of a dirty and in an immoral way in which he lied, stole, and many bad things he did more than what we count. For me, it is never okay to reach a goal in the way Steve Jobs did, he lied, stole, and did many things more just to reach his goal of that. Another thing or something that contributed to his success or failure was the way he treated his employees. From the first part, he treated all of his employees, when they were still only four, with proper respect, etiquette, and many more. After a while, when his company went large, rich and more successful, the way he treated his employees became more of a master and slave type. Where, he is the master and scolds them whenever they do something wrong, and he almost always says that he pays them to create a program and never to rest because he thinks that working for ninety hours a week would make them more productive, promising and would make the Apple company more successful than it ever was but in reality, they never ever learned from him. He always pressures them whenever he yells at them and there was one specific employee in which sleep is never allowed and that is such an abusive act when it comes to the employees. For me, he was an abusive kind of person who only uses human s and throws the away whenever he does not need them for his goals and hat is also what failed him. Another thing is that he trusts too much in his friends. That is also the personality of his that contributed to the successes and failures of Steve Jobs. It is because he promoted John Sculley to a Chief Executive Officer, and because of this he treated all other human or employees or under him as a working machine. Letting them work for like what I said 90 hours a week, and he did not let them allow to rest and that is kind of a worker abuse but they still continue to work for him. After John Sculley was promoted, it is like he was carefree in everything he does believing that in everything he do, he always can beat the International Business Machine company in which that time was considered as the final boss of every company that wants to be successful. After trusting Joh Sculley too much, he believed that he will be an untouched person since he is the one who developed his own company and he believes he has the immunity in which he will not be rusticated from the workplace he created. He also had too much trust on Steve Wozniak that he believes that he will never ever go away from his side since Steve Wozniak was with Steve Jobs since the beginning in which Steve Jobs is the brains while Steve Wozniak was the work. He relied too much that Steve Wozniak would never ever leave his side but in the end, because of his bad attitude towards other employees, Steve Wozniak left the Apple Company even though he and Steve Jobs were one of the first people who founded and created Apple companies. And I think that was one of the attributes he has that contributed to the failure of Steve Jobs. I knew trusting too much is not good because you will never ever know what will happen next or you will never ever expect what will happen in the future so never ever trust too much. Another thing that contributed to Steve Jobs success and failure is the one in which he “stole” the mouse and the user interface code or the system in which the company Xerox rejected. Since the Xerox company rejected that concept, Steve Jobs took the advantage in which he “stole” the idea or the mouse and the user interface in which in their time was kind of like a diamond in a bronze mine. Because of this, they developed the Apple Lisa which is named after Steve Jobs’ first daughter, and from there, he developed the mouse and the user interface. Another attribute that contribute in his failure and success was when he let his company divide into two “entities.” One is team Macintosh in which includes the developers for the Macintosh versus the rest of Apple. He thinks that it would make his company become more successful but in the end, the Windows still became more popular and more successful than Apple because of this.
2. I see myself as an entrepreneur as a more safe player type. What I mean by that is that I do not take too much risk but I know that is bad for the company I am company I am working on which is my company but as for now, I see myself as a safe player when it comes to becoming an entrepreneur. I also see myself as to be a type that which takes care and kind of dependent on my employees because as of now, I, Rhobert Vincent Y. Odoya, am telling myself that I must take care of the people around me and the ones I care. It is because I realized that when you do not take care of your employees, like Steve Jobs, your company might be in a great danger. Like how Steve Jobs never ever take care or being concerned on the health of his employees when he was already a successful entrepreneur. Because of this it lead to his downfall position at his own company and eventually being fired from his own company and for me it is one of the biggest embarrassment if I were Steve Jobs. Also if I were an entrepreneur, I could see myself as a like a Bill Gates one in which I will do everything to gain income and financial capital in my own business. I know I would take small risk but now I will try taking large risks in which it could benefit myself as an entrepreneur and for my own company’s income. It is because if I am not taking any risks, my company could not be in danger but will never ever gain customers, clients, and income in which it would be difficult for the company to struggle without. As an entrepreneur, I would also see myself as the kind that will prepare in any case something happens. I realized that an entrepreneurs must be ready at all times even though at good times, an entrepreneur must always prepare an emergency plan. I must prepare emergency plans in any case the situation gets worse. Because if I ever do not prepare emergency plans, there would be a possibility that the business would fail and would hardly get back up or if it is just a small one, it may become large to a point where it can’t be cured or cannot be fixed anymore. That Is why we must always prepare emergency even though we are not an entrepreneur or we are an entrepreneur so we can be ready at almost anything that is coming towards us. Example, if there is a problem, there must always be a back-up plan. Example is when your project proposal is rejected, never ever frail for that, but just prepare another project proposal and in any case before that we must have prepared an emergency plan always so we can be prepared at the best times o worst times. As an entrepreneur, I see myself doing a game company, since games are one of the things that I love most in my life and the one that made me love computers. I will be an entrepreneur but I will also be a technopreneur in which I do things through the technology provided everywhere. I also see myself as a game designer because designing games is what I love, not in coding but can be in graphic ones. I also see myself as an entrepreneur by being a competitor to other big game companies because I have big dreams for myself and for my company and employees. I also can see myself as entrepreneur that wants my employees to grow big even though they left my own company, as long as I can help people in my business, I am kind of happy of what I am doing in my own business. As an entrepreneur, I can see myself as the boss that knows where to take risk at the spur of a moment. It is because, even if I am a small risk taker, I take risk on where I can assure that either I gain or I learn something which can benefit me and everyone else in the company and for the company I am working on. Also, if I were an entrepreneur I must also learn on being alone because not everyone from the start will stay beside you always, they will either quit being beside you, be the opponent you have never expected or be the persons that will let you down. As an entrepreneur, I must be cautious of everything I must do. Because in any wrong move or decision I make which is not avoidable in life and in companies’ life, I must prepare the consequences in which I am ready to take on in my life. Same with life, every decision I must make must be for the good of the company and not only for myself. But sometimes we can’t avoid making some bad decisions that we cannot control in our life, so we must also prepare in things that we do not expect in our lives. As an entrepreneur, I can also see myself as a person that can understand others too. I am not like Steve Jobs that lets his employees work 90 hours a week with no sleep and I am not that kind of sadistic person. I am the kind of person that lets people work but with maximum effort but never ever make them hate me for what bad things that I will do to them like making them work for more than the required hours per week, not paying them for the overtime that they did, not treating them properly, not let them having a vacation because all of this can result to bad connections with employees and not far from the future it can be the down fall of the company you are owning or you are working on. I can also see myself as an entrepreneur to be competing with other big game companies like the Blizzard Entertainment, Valve Company, Naughty Dog Productions, CD Projekt Company, and EA Company as I progress in my future. As an entrepreneur, I must also know how the limits of what I can do so that I can know which are my strengths in things and my weaknesses and all in all. Also, if I knew my limits, I would know which areas I must improve myself for the betterment of the company and to improve myself as the lead entrepreneur or the boss in my own company. As an entrepreneur, I can see myself as I have high hopes and dreams because for me, I must never dream small, I must always think big and dream big so I can achieve what I want to achieve in the future. Also, almost all entrepreneurs dream big but start slow, even though they start slow, they work hard to achieve or make their dream come true like what happened to Apple. Steve Jobs dreamed big and after years of hard work and being wise and making good decisions for the company, later on he achieved what he wants, to be the opponent of the International Business Machine or the IBM which is at that time considered as the final boss or the world’s strongest company ever created. As an entrepreneur, I can see myself that I also must be wise at making decisions, because making crucial decisions is part of being an entrepreneur. Being good at decisions especially at crucial ones can make one thing go good or bad. It can either be a success or a total failure, so an entrepreneur must really think wisely and must also think about the crucial decisions and the consequences he or the company can receive in any decisions. He must think about the employees too. As an entrepreneur, I can see myself as the one that can take things to the highest level and taking care of small problems that can potentially be a big problem in the future we can directly meet. As an entrepreneur, I can see myself as a person that always takes the responsibilities if it is meant to be taken by me. I must hold responsible for every decision I make either for the company, for the employees or for the owner of the company. As an entrepreneur, I can see myself as treating the employees rightfully and not like a machine. Like what happened to Steve Jobs, when he treated them like machines, he let them work for 90 hours a week and soon in the future, the employees were kind of mad at him and kind of turned against him like how he hired the new Chief Executive Officer and after 3 months of his thirty eight birthday he rusticated Steve Jobs from his job. As an entrepreneur, I can also see myself as a person that can compete with big companies but never will underestimate small companies because sometimes the small ones can even be a big threat or potential threat to company’s future even though they are still young. I must outsmart them as an entrepreneur and anything else.
3. For me, I would kind of take Steve Jobs path because what he did was kind of a good one but he treated everyone in his way like a machine and that is where he failed in his journey while he is still an entrepreneur or a technopreneur. In some ways I want to take the path of Steve Jobs when he always screamed at Steve Wozniak for agreeing on an interview in company which he said that the company is interested in their computer but Steve Jobs won’t let him because he wants to have his own company and he does not want to work for others. What I say is that there are some paths I would take like what Steve Jobs took and there are also some paths where I will not take what Steve Jobs took. Some paths that he took were good but some their will not benefit me or the company or it will not be able to help me and my company at all. For me, I would also take the path of Steve Jobs where he invested more on his time in investing and doing the hardware he used to sell or the first computer that he and Steve Wozniak created. I would take that path because in that path lies innovation. In their time, computers are very rare in the machine industry and what they created was not to make people be comfortable and their lives but they did that to earn more profit in their own terms. And in that moment, they thought of an innovation in which all machines are like combines into 1 machine. Like the calculator, calendar, coding and many more and whey they built that, they called it the “first computer” and I can call that an innovation in which they invented because in their time, their invention or the “first computer” was like made from everything with various features. What I meant is that, all machines like calculator, clock, word processing, spreadsheet and many more were combined to a “simple” machine which were invented and developed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak from a machine they ordered and were given by the Altair. Because of this “simple” innovation they made, it made Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak become successful in what they want to excel. In life, there would always be paths that one must take to become successful and one must not take so that they will not fail in their life. That is why I want to take some of the path that Steve Jobs took and I also want to get rid of some path that Steve Jobs took that will not make me a successful person in the future and will not let my company be a successful one in the future. In life, we should take some paths that were also taken by others like what Bill Gates did, he does not know that he had also taken Steve Jobs’ path but the way he handled it was not being an ass to everyone or every person he meets in his path, instead he treats them with respect but he gives a good fight. Not like what Steve Jobs did that he just messed everyone and bump everyone without respect in his way. What I meant was that the way he treated his employees just like a machine is not what Bill Gates did to be successful in the future. Also, what I want to take in Steve Jobs’ path was the time he had big confidence in his invention. I like the way he presented it to others and the way he presented it so he can loan at the bank and the money he loaned, he made it to other prototypes of the machine they built with Steve Wozniak. After being the most famous invention in a convention in California, he became outright successful that he built a company for his inventions. In the movie, he “stole” the mouse and the user interface which were made by a small company somewhere in the United States of America which was rejected by the Xerox Company which they called the mouse a ridiculous thing. But what Steve Jobs did was that he “stole” the mouse and user interface idea which led him to create the Apple Lisa which like first computer that had user interface and a mouse. I do not want to take the path that Steve Jobs stole the concept of an idea, it is because, other people worked for it and you will just buy it? Where is the justice in that situation for the one who invented it? Unless, the inventor can also benefit from it then, I would hesitate to think to take the path Steve Jobs took. Also, I want to take the path Steve Jobs took in which he invented the Apple Lisa. Apple Lisa is named after the first daughter of Steve Jobs which he left to his ex-girlfriend named Arlene in which he left when he knew that she was pregnant and the father is him. I also do not want to take that path that Steve Jobs took because it was an irresponsible one for me. Maybe he thought that having a family may be a hindrance to his success but for me it is not and that is why I do not want to take a path in which Steve Jobs took that he left his family for the sake of the company because he thought that it was a hindrance for him. And that is why I want to take some paths that Steve Jobs took but I also do not want to take some of the paths he took because it is not beneficial for me and it is against myself to do some of his actions that he once did. There was also a situation in which Steve Jobs also did a foolish move in which he asked a new applicant if he was a virgin, and he asks too many ridiculous questions that is not part or does not need to be an employee in Apple Company and he immediately told him that he is not suited for this company and he tells him that he is more in with the International Business Machine, what he thinks his enemy, to be more suited in that place than being in the Apple Company. I also do not want to take that path of Steve Jobs because it is him being a foolish guy to his employees which I think is a wrong move because as an entrepreneur, they must also value his or her employees too. Not only just the income and clients must think about when it comes to business, he or she must also think about the employees before the clients and the customers because without the employees of his or her company, the company would not even exist at the first place. I will not take that path where Steve Jobs took that path because it I s harmful and toxic for my own company for me to be doing this kind of act. And it is also because if I treated my employees the way Steve Jobs treated his, there could be something that will happen in the future which the employees would backbite the hand that fed them because they have been treated badly by the employer. Like what happened to Steve Jobs, after he promoted Bill Sculley to be a Chief Executive Officer, after how many year Bill felt the way he was treated by Steve Jobs and also he felt the way the employees of his were treated by Steve Jobs. I think that for Bill Sculley, it is like Steve Jobs were treating his employees like a robot that made them work for 90 hours a week even though the employees do not like it and they must do it too because each of them had no choice. One other path that I do not want to take that Steve Jobs took was the way he divided his company. Because of the division, Steve Jobs thought that it would make his company be more efficient, successful, and more functional than before. But the end result was the opposite, many of his colleagues like Steve Wozniak, who was with him from the start of Apple Company until its rise, left his side. Steve Wozniak left because he can’t stand what Steve Jobs is doing to his own company anymore. He can’t stand the way Steve Jobs divided the company to two, the Macintosh and the rest of the Apple team, because for him it would make the company fall apart slowly and he does not want that and he also left because he thinks that Steve Jobs has changed his personality and attitude and he does not want it. That is why I also want to take some of the path that Steve Jobs took and I also do not want to take some of the bad paths of what Steve Jobs took too.

No comments:

Post a Comment